On Tuesday 16 September 2003 07:43, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote: > Ok, the problem is not so simple really. > To solve this problem, we need attack applications as well. Sure but I think the solution will be in kdelibs still... somewhere. > Today we can't identify version/release from applications. There aren't any > identification that the /usr app is older than /usr/local. You don't want to keep the version in every associated file though... > If we have an basic info, like version with release date ( developer could > be released same app version with lot of bug fixes, so date makes sense ), > and so doesn't matter how many apps you identify in kdedirs. This can be > very usefull even for test, if we add a configuration dialog, that can > choose wich one must read or not, and even for KIOSK, preventing user to > see and use such application. > For a new installed app, system can warn user about two or more versions of > this application are in the system and choose wich one must use. > > But, as i said in the beginning: > - Apps need have a proper unique id ( like kdebeuf space ) > - There must be a way to recover their version-date or whatever time based > id to identify which is he new one or not. Is it sufficient to do this in the .desktop file? > - User confusion - Regular users will be very confused about this > behaviour, and maybe can't easily understand that the old application, > which can have many of personal data already, must be disabled and suddenly > lost your personal data, since new app is installed on new dir. This CAN > happen today because not all apps are handling the right rc update, and > sometime there aren't a better way to fix it than remove rc file. Regular users are already quite confused about applications that can't find plugins and rc files. -- George Staikos KDE Developer http://www.kde.org/ Staikos Computing Services Inc. http://www.staikos.net/