Am Thursday 04 September 2003 11:08 am schrieb Daniel Stone: Hi, > > Everyone having root access to your machine is easily capable to steal > > your passwords/idendentity without you even noticing. > Aside from the fact that I only keep my GnuPG key on a few trusted > machines, and could use SELinux and ACLs if I wanted to FYR: Neither SELinux nor ACLs prevent abuse from a malicious root user. > the same. My GnuPG key is password-protected with a strong password, Does also not help if you dont trust the root user. > The issue at hand was slightly more generic, I was just making an example. > Encryption can defeat root. Sorry, this is incorrect. Regards, -- martin Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold e r f r a k o n Erlewein, Frank, Konold & Partner - Beratende Ingenieure und Physiker Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959 email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de