List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Software patent protest, could kde participate ?
From:       Christophe Devriese <oelewapperke () ulyssis ! org>
Date:       2003-08-23 12:41:13

On Friday 22 August 2003 20:34, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 05:50:17PM +0200, Christophe Devriese wrote:
> > I think this really matters to kde, as sooner or later software patents
> > will be used against kde. We should do what we can to support this
> > demonstration.
>
> Right. I think we should immediately cancel the KDE Contributors Conference
> and all go to Brussels. ;-)
>
> Rob

It's not really about getting all kde developers to brussels, but to draw
attention to the protest. Attention is the only thing that might prevent this
disaster.

I don't think we can afford to let this happen. If software patents are
approved, and someone attacks kde, kde will have no means of defending itself
(successful defense against a patent lawsuit means getting the patent
invalidated, estimated legal cost : 500.000 euro (because they will appeal
right up to the superior court) per patent.

Oelewapperke