List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt 3.2 requirement
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-25 21:38:04

On Freitag, 25. Juli 2003 20:01, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> > I ack coolo that supporting two versions is a pain. Hence my question
> > where a KDE 3.1.x environment has problems with Qt 3.2 so people wanting
> > to use Qt 3.2 can given an exact answer where to expect problems if they
> > want to use KDE 3.1 with it.
>
> Part of the answer is: if they use most of the available styles (excluding
> Keramik and dotNET), the toolbars will look /really/ bad. Also, flat
> toolbar mode is utterly broken. There are also some cases where Qt3.2
> sends bogus mouse move events, although I don't know whether anything is
> seriously affected w/that in KDE3.1.x. And this is just the stuff I know
> off. It's also probably the case that at least some developers may refuse
> to honor support requests of any sort to this combination; in particular
> because this combination has been explictily disabled by ./configure, and
> so any packager overriding this for purposes other than testing is
> explicitly taking their users into a 'this may not work' territory.
Well, preventing KDE 3.1 to be compiled with Qt 3.2 is one thing but
installing Qt 3.2 over Qt 3.1.x is the other :)  With ./configure you can't
exclude that possibility and if there are bugs with using Qt 3.2 with KDE 3.1
then at least we should kind of document them say at developer.kde.org.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org