List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: wanted: autotools guru/kulow, i18n diety/diehl
From:       Malte Starostik <malte () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-23 1:11:26

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 23:11, Rob Kaper wrote:
> The server part of Atlantik, monopd, has been imported into kdenonbeta.

[snip]

> Some of the problems I need to tackle:
>
> - as for the translations: hopefully there is a solution where I can
>   primarily use i18n to harness the power of our translation teams and
>   somehow still use those translations when compiled without KDE support on
>   servers.  Or, at least use tr() and find a way to let the KDE translators
>   populate it with translations.

IMHO it would also be nice if you could somehow do the translation on client
side. i.e. the server sends only a message id and possibly QString::arg()
arguments or an untranslated message and possibly arguments. In the latter
case those untranslated messages would need to be added to the client (e.g.
#include'd) with I18N_NOOP for it to work. That way it would be possible for
each player to choose her own GUI language independent of the server and the
other players.

Just my 2¢
-Malte