On Saturday 17 May 2003 12:21, Ingo Klöcker wrote: > > One could be of the opinion that this puts a legal obligation on > > applications like e.g. KMail. The question whether KMail is a derived > > work of OpenSSL is irrelevant in that respect since the license only > > speaks of "use of this software". I think it's the opinion of the FSF > > that such additional obligation is incompatible with the GPL. > > And also incompatible with the LGPL I assume. Else one could simply > write an LGPL'd wrapper library and then use this in a GPL program. But > isn't that exactly what Konqueror does by using kssl? If there is no > licensing problem between Konqueror and OpenSSL then there can't be a > problem with KMail (resp. the kssl based S/MIME plugin) since both use > OpenSSL through kssl. Am I missing something? You are correct, KMail is in no different situation than Konqueror. I'll take care of the IBM issue. I am in the process of contacting them now. -- George Staikos KDE Developer http://www.kde.org/ Staikos Computing Services Inc. http://www.staikos.net/