List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] #29984 Change file permission using octal numbers
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-15 14:20:30

On Thursday 15 May 2003 14:32, Dominik Seichter wrote:

> The patch adds a line edit to the permission page of the properties dialog.
> The user can enter any octal number in the line edit to change the file
> permission like he would do when using chmod. Additionally the file
> permissions selected by the user are shown as an octal number.

Hmm, to me it just doesn't seem like this belongs in the GUI -- certainly not
simply with the string "Permissions".  I think understanding Unix permissions
is confusing as is, but allowing for setting the octal mode would just add
another widget to the general confusion.  This would seem roughly like being
prompted for command line switches when dragging and dropping a file "because
it's more powerful that way".

Anyway -- just my opinion; we'll see what others think...

Cheers,

-Scott

--
The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow
sharper.