On Tuesday 13 May 2003 23:39, Jason Keirstead wrote: > > Whether or not MDI is horrible in theory is not the issue.. it is if > the user should be forced ot use SDI when they don't want to. I can > tell you right now that if the MDI was removed from Konq, Kate, and > Konsole we would suddenly see the usage of those apps drop like a > rock, and I would probably be forced to ditch KDE altogether for > (ugh) GNOME, because I *like* MDI (tab style), always have. I still > turn it on whenever I fire up MS Office under Windows, and many many > other people feel the same way, proven by the huge number of MDI apps > already in KDE. I agree that MDI as in Konsole and Konqueror is useful and improves these applications, but these are fine-tuned implmentations for this specific applications. Something like the "windows-in-windows" approach known from Windows (or as in Qt designer) is a nightmare, because it just adds restrictions and side-effects without any gain. > I think this QExtMdi would be excellent in kdelibs because finally > all these MDI apps can have a consistant interface and features. > Right now they all behave differently. But the ability to switch from > tab mode to to level mode on the fly in apps like Konq and Kate and > KOffice would be a dream come true for me. And you would also get new interesting bugs and support problems (It's much more easy to understand bug reports when you know how the windows a user sees look like). -- Cornelius Schumacher