List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KNotifyClient addition
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2003-04-02 18:58:07

I have a proposal for KNotifyClient::userEvent and ::event that I think \
would be very very usefull to a number of apps. I brought it up in a thread \
before but didn't get much feedback.

Here is the current KNotifyClient::userEvent, and ::event

	bool userEvent (const QString &text=QString::null, int present=Default, \
int level=Default,  const QString &sound=QString::null, const QString \
&file=QString::null)

	bool event (const QString &message, const QString &text=QString::null)

	bool event (StandardEvent event, const QString &text=QString::null)

What I propose is adding these 2 new optional paramaters to these \
functions:

	const QString &actionText = QString::null, const char* actionSignal

What this would do, is if the event was a graphical event( A KMessageBox or \
a KPassivePopup ), it would add a means to the notification to signify a \
response to the program..

I envision in the KMessageBox circumstance, if these arguments are \
provided, instead of the "Ok" button, the user would be presented with a \
Button with actionText on it, connected to a new signal added to KNotifier. \
A pointer to this signal would be returned with actionSignal. A second \
button labeled "Ignore" would close the message box without firing the \
signal.

For a KPassivePopup, a hyperlink style link could be creatted with the \
actionText on it, that would fire the actionSignal if clicked before the \
popup vanished.

The purpose of this proposal would be to allow an app to get some feedback \
RE the notification. One example would be KMail's "New Mail" event. \
Currently, if you turn on a passive popup or  message box for this event, \
all thebox does is poop up and say that you have new mail. Once dismissed, \
you have to go to the KMail window, find the message, click on it, etc. \
With this API addition, the box could simply have a "View" option in the \
box, that opened the email immediately.

This is just one small example to illustrate how usefull it could be.

If I get positive feedback regarding this I could implement the \
functionality in KNotifyClient myself.

--
Jason Keirstead, BCS
http://www.keirstead.org