List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: An user point of view on KDE and the glib issue
From:       "M. Fioretti" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2003-03-11 18:46:34

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 11:51:57 at 11:51:57AM +0100, Waldo Bastian (bastian@kde.org) wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 10:00, M. Fioretti wrote:
> > This (and the underlying assumption that the active KDE developers
> > know what is always better for all users, and want to deliver it as an
> > "all or nothing" bundle) is as Microsoftish as it can get. Quite
> > scary, if you ask me
>
> I agree with that. I think the goal of KDE should be to pursue close
> integration but in an open fashion. You want to have close integration in the
> sense that when you click on an e-mail address in KFooBar that you get your
> KMail composer all set up, possibly with the subject line already filled out.
> But _AT THE SAME TIME_ you also want to have an open system that allows the
> user to replace KMail with the mailer of his choice.
>
> This last aspect is what separates KDE from the monopoly-thinking so well
> known from Microsoft.

Thanks, Waldo! It's great to hear this!. The only thing I'd add to
this is the availability of official tarballs of the latest stable
releases of the most important applications:

	kmail.x.y.tar.bz2
	konqueror.x.y.tar.bz2
	etc..

and so on. Somebody today asked here "why should we care for people
who, by definition, use none or little KDE"? The answer is because
maybe them *cannot* install the whole thing, but a modern, ligthweight
GUI mailer (or word processor, etc...) and nothing else, may help
them.

> I have read some rather worrying arguments in this thread that basically seem
> to come down to "KDE applications have strong integration with the KDE
> environment, to give KDE applications a competive advantage such integration
> should be withheld from non-KDE applications".
Good. It wasn't just my concern, then.
>I see that slightly
> differently.
>
> I see KDE based upon three pilars:
> 1) The development framework (Qt/kdelibs)
> 2) The runtime environment: Desktop, WM, panel etc. (kdebase)
> 3) Applications

I know I'm repeating myself, here, but please add file formats to
that, thanks.

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Your education begins where what is called your education is over.