List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Replace KcmFontinst with kio_fonts
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-11 22:02:06

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 19:49, Jason Keirstead wrote:
>  To a user a font is not a "system service", it is a file. It is
> treated as a file on every other system and that is what they will
> expect from KDE as well. If someone sends my Mom a cool nifty new
> font she does not expect to have to go through some control panel to
> install it using a wizard or somesuch, she just expects to copy it
> into a folder and use it.

Well, if I were a newbie then I would probably expect that KMail asked
me if I want to install the font as soon as I clicked on the
attachment. Furthermore there should be an Install Font entry in the
context menu in Konqueror (definitely) and in KMail (maybe).

BTW, I never knew (back in the days when I was still using Win) that
fonts could be installed in Win simply by copying them to the fonts
directory. I always used the Fonts applet from the System
Configuration.

Regards,
Ingo