On Monday 24 February 2003 21:36, Martin Konold wrote: > Am Montag, 24. Februar 2003 02:37 schrieb Josef Weidendorfer: > > Hi Josef, > > > > The dramatic measurment results from Christian indicate that there is > > > much more time spent at least on his system. > > > > With KDE3.1 (Suse8.0 packages) top shows 1.9 % constant CPU utilization > > Top is totally bogus. Please dont use top for such measurements. So what are you suggesting for meassuring? > > for kded. strace confirms that this is indeed a row of stats every 0,5 > > seconds. But my estimation of 40 dirs was wrong: There are at least >150 > > dirs watched (Standard KDE desktop dirs + a LOT of additional Suse dirs) > > > > :-( > > Outch. > > Is it really necessary to watch this many dirs with a 0.5 s intervall. I > have the strong impression that a much longer intervall would also be > acceptable in 99% of the cases. The poll interval is adjustable over a global config option. 0,5 s is the default poll interval for local files and all KDirWatch uses. Should we instead default to a calculated value depending on processor speed? There's no way for an application using KDirWatch to specify a poll interval. Note that this makes only limited sense at all: The system should decide itself, whether to use DNOTIFY or FAM or STAT, and when using STAT, it should adjust the interval to whether the file is on a NFS share or not. Perhaps we could introduce a qualitative option: "fast" or "slow" indication of changes. This could go very well with a delaying/merging feature of DNOTIFY/FAM notifications. Josef > > (Optimize for the common case) > > Regards, > -- martin > > Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold > > e r f r a k o n > Erlewein, Frank, Konold & Partner - Beratende Ingenieure und Physiker > Nobelstrasse 15, 705