List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DNOTIFY support and some timing
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-24 12:38:50

On Monday 24 February 2003 21:36, Martin Konold wrote:
> Is it really necessary to watch this many dirs with a 0.5 s intervall. I
> have the strong impression that a much longer intervall would also be
> acceptable in 99% of the cases.

This interval determines how much time it takes on average before an
application that gets installed appears in the KDE menu. There are also other
contributing factors, such as the time kbuildsycoca takes to run.

We have bugreports that indicate that people find the current delay already
too long, increasing the poll interval will make that only worse.

The solution to these problems is IMO to use dnotify and to reduce the number
of directories that are being watched. I noticed for example that kmenuedit
creates a complete empty applnk directory hierarchy under $KDEHOME, this
means that kded will need to watch all these directories for changes even
though most of these directories are not used at all.

The introduction of VFolder-based menu's will hopefully also bring a
substantial reduction in directories. I hope to have that in CVS this week.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com