List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kimgio: One library for 2 file types
From:       Michael Ritzert <kde () ritzert ! de>
Date:       2002-12-25 19:13:24

Hi Marc,

Am Freitag, 20. Dezember 2002 16:41 schrieb Marc Mutz:
> On Friday 20 December 2002 16:04, kde@ritzert.de wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Do you have more recent verification for that? While I'm inclined to
> > believe you, I have seen image/j2k "in the wild". See for example
> > "LURATECH PLUGIN" @
> > http://www.bahamapress.org/andres/kmeleon/plugins.html
>
> <snip>
>
> None of them is registered with IANA, although they all use the IETF
> branch. The draft is clear that image/jp2 is the mime type to use for
> all currently defined JPEG2000 still image modes, while reserving i/jpx
> for further extensions that warrant a new mime type. Plus some movie
> modes. I don't know why such an easy thing as a mime type registration
> hasn't been pursued to the end, but I asked on ietf-types@iana.org
> about them (answer pending).

http://www.jpeg.org/public/wg1n1807.txt contains the mail apparently sent to
IANA by the JPEG registering image/jp2.
Problem is: That document seems outdated, too. The 12byte signature given in
section 4 does not match any of the JPEG2000 files I have found (it's always
2020 instead of 1a1a - some kind of versioning?)...

So unless your request to IANA yields a proof for the official existence of
the image/j2k type, I will remove the support for this type from KDE CVS at
the end of the week.

Michael