List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking for feedback on Gnome/KDE article
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-14 9:47:27

On Friday 13 December 2002 2:21 pm, Stefan Gehn wrote:
|  On Donnerstag Dezember 12 2002 19:16, Vadim Plessky wrote:
[...]
|  > * One standard, centralized, font management system, for both display
|  > and printing.
|  > VP:  it's called FontConfig.
|  > KDE 3.1/Qt-3.1 use FontConfig.
|
|  Then push the rest of the world to follow. FontConfig probably will not
| help me as a user with my OpenOffice nor will it help me with Gnumeric or
| other gtk/gnome apps as long as they do not use the new technique. The
| problem with standards and standard-libs is always the same: some people
| just don't want to use it or do not have the time to write support for it.
|  Are there any comments about FontConfig coming from other projects like
|  Mozilla, gtk, OO or whatever has to use FontConfig directly?

I think everyone should read FontConfig2 announce (mail by Keith packard is
attached). Than it would be clear *what* is supported and *why*.
In particular:

"Thanks go to all of those involved in this release, in particular:
+      Lars Knoll and Brad Hughes for early integration of Xft into
        the Qt toolkit.

 +      Chris Blizzard and Brian Stell for help getting fontconfig ready
        to support Mozilla, and Chris for his work porting Mozilla to
        Xft2 and fontconfig.
"

If OpenOffice guys are not involved in FontConfig development - well, this
explains that OO doesn't have FontConfig support at this moment.
IMO, they should ctach up ASAP, and add FC support into OO.

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released