List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE 3.1: delayed
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-05 23:44:24

Hi,

The KDE 3.1 release has to be delayed further. Here is why.

On November 26th, we've been notified by FozZy from the "Hackademy
Audit Project" about security problems in KDE. They can, after user
interaction, cause unwanted execution of commands with the
privileges of the user who runs KDE. We fixed those on the same day and
updated the "hopefully final" KDE 3.1 tarballs. Unfortunately, it was
becoming clear after a quick search in the KDE CVS that the
problematic code is repeated in many places and in many variations.

Yesterday, on the targetted announcement date of KDE 3.1, Waldo and I
realized that while we only had audited maybe 30% of the code yet, we have
found enough occasions for them to be a big showstopper.

A short query on the packagers mailinglist showed that for the majority
there is no big pressure on having a KDE 3.1 to be released
according to the schedule. I'm considering a 3.1 with known security bugs a
no-go anyway, even though we first thought that those are minor that the fix
can wait for 3.1.1, I no longer think that this is the case.

Waldo, George, Lubos and I think that we can finish the audit by middle/end
of next week. This however brings us in a bad position: its unlikely that we
get many binary packages so short before christmas holidays, which means
that KDE 3.1 would go out, if released this year, probably with few or
none binary packages at the announcement date.

So, to sum up, we have two options:

a) Try to finish ASAP and try to get it out before christmas. December
   12 could be a good tagging date.

b) Take the time and schedule for a release next year. Something around
   January 8, 2003 sounds like a good candidate (tagging date,
   announcement rougly a week later)

I neither like any of them, but I prefer to go with b), as it also allows
for other bugs which have been reported to be fixed. For an impression just
have a look at the lately steadily rising open bug count on
http://bugs.kde.org/.

In any way I'll tar up and release the current 3_1_BRANCH as 3.1RC5 in a few
hours. Many fixes for the above mentioned security problems are in there,
but there are still big chunks of code and patches pending for review. There
will be no binary packages as those which were made during the last week
refer to be "KDE 3.1 final" and are anyway not up to date.

As soon as the code review is finished we will have to release updates for
KDE 3.0.x (and at least patches for KDE 2.x) anyway.

Comments, opinions, suggestions, flames welcome.

Dirk