Adam Treat wrote: > On Monday 04 November 2002 03:58 am, Kurt Pfeifle wrote: > >>Kurt Pfeifle wrote: >>--------------- >> >>I think there are two distinct models to solve tasks like that, and I think >>KDE needs solutions for both: >> >># 1 # >>----- >>Thin or very thin clients. No program runs natively on the client (apart >>from just the X server) -- all applications run on one or more centralized >>servers, which also store the user "profiles", probably in a database or >>in an LDAP directory. >> >># 2 # >>----- >>"Fat" clients. A complete set of all programs are installed on the clients. >>"Profiles" and home directories are on central file servers. The profile is >>retrieved if the user logs in and decides about the subset of programs the >>user is allowed to start and use. >> > > Ok, so you've narrowed it down to thin clients and workstations. Does this > GUI app work only with Linux or must it work with the *BSD's? The current request or interest is concentrating on Linux only. I am not aware of any potential "customer" wanting to massivly change a large client base to *BSD or investigating the options to do so. > Is it > responsible for the actual deployment and configuration of the non-KDE OS ie, > does it need to configure X, kernel, printing system, network shares, ssh, > mail server, etc, etc. No. Obviously this would be a nice add-on to have (if it works reliably and is handled easily). But most people imagine to install the basic system by other means. The request is for a initial configuration (when the base system is installed) and the continued maintainance/repair/re-configuration etc. > If so, then we are talking about a _huge_ parameter > space. IMHO, the only way an app such as this could be successful is to > narrow the scope considerably OR make choices for the system admin thereby > limiting the situations where the tool could be used. I'm really trying to > understand what you are looking for ... ? > > I like the idea, but I fail to see how it could be executed successfully. > > >>---------------- >> >>Of course, this is not just concerning KDE applications. It is to be >>applied to all programs. (After all KDE is an environment friendly enough >>to let GNOME, OpenOffice.org, Netscape, Mozilla or whatever applications >>run on its desktop...) >> >>The argument for the creation of a GUI program is not just "to do a favor >>to all these ex-NT administrators" whom we want to enable to administer a >>large environment of KDE desktops in an enterprise. It is also doing a >>favor to all Unix/Linux people who like GUIs too. After all, KDE is about >>GUIs, by and large... Or am I missing something? ;-) >> >>Cheers, >>Kurt >> > >