Op zaterdag 2 november 2002 19:51, schreef David Faure: > On Saturday 02 November 2002 19:24, Richard Bos wrote: > > Op zaterdag 2 november 2002 16:23, schreef Christoph Cullmann: > > > I don't see any case where the automagically mouse/keyboard selecti= on > > > would hurt usergroup 2, as they simply don't know and don't use it = (and > > > if they try it and don't like it, they can simply don't use it, won= 't > > > hurt them, or ?), but usergroup 1 (like me and others) would be hur= t > > > very much if we abandon the selection thing. > > > > > > Why break something that many people are used to, only to avoid tha= t > > > new people don't use it ? I don't think it will confuse any new use= r, > > > as the selection don't overwrite the clipboard and won't break thei= r > > > "from windows" known CTRL-C/V stuff. > > > > Well said Christoph. I know many people that are used to the copy an= d > > paste using the mouse (MMB). It would hurt me and those people, if t= he > > -V etc alone would be supported by KDE! So, please keep on > > supporting copy and paste using the mouse (MMB)! > > I think it was never question of completely removing the lmb/mmb stuff. > But the question was rather: *if* lmb/mmb also requires "unique global > selection", i.e. selecting something unselects the previously selected > text, even in another application (as is currently the case), *then* th= is > might confuse the "windows" users, who don't use lmb/mmb but want to be > allowed multiple selections (e.g. one per window). David, thanks for the explanation. As usefull you make it clear what is going o= n. > In that case one might think of an option, to choose whether selections= are > global or per-window. > The X11 way is: global, which makes it a bit easier to use lmb/mmb (you > know what mmb is going to insert), and the windows way is per-window - > lmb/mmb would still work, IMHO, just in a slightly more confusing way > (multiple selections). I would prefer the current X11 way. Is you state: one knows what mmb is = going=20 to insert. --=20 Richard Bos Without a home the journey is endless