List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdenetwork/kit/icons
From:       Antonio Larrosa =?iso-8859-1?q?Jim=E9nez?= <larrosa () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-31 16:02:33

El Jueves, 31 de Octubre de 2002 15:47, Stephan Binner escribió:
> On Thursday 31 October 2002 12:50, Antonio Larrosa Jiménez wrote:
> > Can I know now why do you want to distribute the hicolor icons as well
> > as the crystalsvg icons in your applications ?
>
> With hindsight I can think of one reasonable case: If a maintainer kept
> KDE 3.0 as minimal requirement and plans to release it independent from
> KDE 3.1. Then he can expect and should support that users will use it
> with KDE 3.0.

No, no. _Even_ if you're only supporting >=KDE3.1, apps outside of cvs
_must_ install their icons to "hicolor". Remember that "hicolor" ==
"default", so what I mean is, applications must install their icons to the
"default" icon theme. It's a bit unfortunate that we have to name the
"default" icon theme "hicolor" (instead of plain "default"), but it's
needed to keep backward compatibility with existing KDE apps.

3rd apps installing their icons to the hicolor ("default") icon theme can
be assured that their apps will find their icons correctly in KDE 3.0, 3.1
or newer no matter if we change the default icon theme again or if the
user changes his settings to use another icon theme.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE core developer - larrosa@kde.org