List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PATCH to make minicli use all KURIFilterPlugins
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-10-28 5:28:10

On Sunday October 27, 2002 09:16, Dawit A. wrote:
> On Sunday 27 October 2002 03:50, David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Saturday 26 October 2002 07:49, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > The attached patch makes the KDesktop minicli use all installed
> > > KURIFilterPlugins when and only when the user executes the command.
> > > Minicli will still use only the two hard-coded filters for the
> > > letter-by-letter filtering.
> > >
> > > This is useful because people might write their own plugins (like
> > > the apidocs filter I just wrote), and for something like
> > > "apidocs:KURL" it feels a lot faster to use the minicli than to open
> > > a konqueror window.
> > >
> > > OK to apply?
> >
> > No. The reason for this code is to avoid running the ikws plugin,
> > so that if you type "kosnole" (typo intended), you don't end up in
> > a google search for kosnole.
>
> Right.
>
> > However this API does prevent running any other plugin, and a better
> > API for this case would be "run all plugins except those". This would
> > require a change in KURIFilterData, but is the only right way to do
> > this.
>
> No it is not the only choice.  It is one of the choices :)  The
> restriction in minicli was temporary.  I intended to come up with a
> config dialog that allows you to select the plugin you desire.  However,
>  I have never gotten around to doing it for several reason one of which
> is that the config dialog needs to be available to all apps that use it
> and save its settings into the specific apps config file.  This way the
> plugins used for konqueror would not be mixed up with the once in
> Minicli for example.

Well, To solve my problem (not being able to use my new filter) and keep
the existing problem fixed (not wanting to use ikws), I figure the easiest
stopgap solution is to use the existing filter iterator to produce a
QStringList of all installed filters.  Then remove ikws, and we're happy.

Second patch to come after I get HEAD rebuilt.

> > (BTW for apidocs, we could have a server-side cgi that does the lookup
> > ;)
>
> Getting carried away a bit aren't we :) ?  Of course this could easily
> be accomplished through the web-shortcut, no ?

The simple shortcut system already in KDE can't allow processing and
searching for the data (I want to be able to type KIO::Job, not
kio/KIO__Job).  Yes, it can be done server-side, but doing it clientside
is faster and easier because it requires no network access.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com
"The nearest I can make it out, 'Love your Enemies' means, 'Hate your
Friends'." - Benjamin Franklin