List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: X Resize and Rotate support
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2002-10-21 12:00:02

On Saturday 19 October 2002 16:32, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> X Resize and Rotate is an extension to X which allows resizing, rotating,
> reflecting, and changing the refresh rate of each screen of an X display on
> the fly.  The extension has recently been committed to XFree86; the next
> version, 4.3 is planned for release this year.
>
> I've commited a user interface for this extension to kdenonbeta/kcmrandr.
> It consists (currently) of a control panel and a system tray app.
> Screenshots can be found here:
> http://yoyo.its.monash.edu.au/~meddie/patches/screenshots/
>
> As you might expect, there are a few things which could be altered to
> support the extension better, though the system is quite usable already:
>
> Qt
> * Font sizes on newly started apps are too small / too large after a
> resolution decrease / increase respectively (X bug?)

 Maybe the X server doesn't change its dpi value?

> * Popup menus do not get properly constrained to the size of the new window

 Qt AFAIK does the placement, and I'd say it's not aware of the screen size
change. It will need to be patched.

> Kwin
> * Capture RRScreenChangeEvent and appropriately place windows
>
> Kicker
> * Capture RRScreenChangeEvent and reposition appropriately rather than (as
> currently) being restarted via dcop
>
> RandR programs
> * Write a kded module (?) to retain a user-wide setting over logins

 Why would a kded module be needed for this?

> * Make KTimerDialog a respectable candidate for kdeui inclusion

 I don't think there are many places where it can be used.

On Saturday 19 October 2002 16:47, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 19 October 2002 16:32, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > As you might expect, there are a few things which could be altered to
> > support the extension better, though the system is quite usable already:
>
> There should be a KIPC message so applications know that the screen
> resolution changed. Otherwise applications that save the size of the screen
> or the geometry of a window may move their windows to a hidden area.  I
> also need it for desktop sharing (because I need to change the size of the
> framebuffer).

 No need for KIPC, the event is sent already by X if I understand it
correctly.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer