List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] SI Units in KDE
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2002-09-20 8:11:57

On Friday 20 September 2002 00:01, Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Thursday September 19, 2002 02:58, Ryan Cumming wrote:
> > Oh, there is no doubt that the disc drive market switched to true SI
> > units primarily as a marketing ploy. The point is to align ourselves
> > with accepted metric units, not the greedy mass media corporations. ;)
>
> Perhaps this, and all other units, should be somewhere in KControl.

 This is silly discussion. Is somebody going to suggest we add a unit 'dozen'
because some people use it? Oh, and some people actually use kilo == 100,
don't forget that one.

 Please read the first mail in thread again, including the linked page, it
explains all the what's and why's.

 MB is officially 1000000. MiB is 1048576. And people are starting to use MiB
instead of the now a bit ambiguous MB when they mean 1048576, albeit slowly.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer