List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: How does ksmserver start applications?
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () hasos ! com>
Date:       2002-08-27 12:14:33

> > > On Tuesday 27 August 2002 12:26, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Yes, it's handled by KWin. KWin asks X to redirect window mapping to KWin,
> and before the window is actually shown, KWin applies geometry, etc. saved
> from the session. And no, your application cannot do the same, it'd have to
> ask KWin to do it (e.g. now placing windows of newly started app on the
> desktop they were started on is handled this way - but I guess it refuses to
> use non-existing virtual desktop).

I don't understand, why can't my app tell KWin?

I experimented with kstart and I successfully opened apps on desktop 17 (invisible) \
and brought them back to a visible using their window-id. So it should work. I \
currently always use desktop 16 so I know what is going on.

> > > ... and support for it already exists in Konqueror.
> > > Just add "konqueror -silent" to your Autostart folder, or to startkde,
> > > and make sure you choose the "always reuse the existing process"
> > > option. This will start a konq process during KDE startup, not showing
> > > any window, and will use it to open any konq windows after that.

Well, the problem is that it works only with Konqueror, but I'd like to use it for \
Mozilla and especially StarOffice, too. Other people will probably like to use it for \
other programs. On next-generation computers with 2GB or more RAM, you probably want \
to use it for *all* apps. Disk-drives get bigger but not much faster, so app-start-up \
of nontrivial graphical applications time will *NEVER* be instantaneous (<50ms) using \
conventional methods. (Although cashing isn't that unconventional either, it happens \
all the time) IMO, it's the way computers should behave. You click an icon and a \
window pops up - immediately. Heck, we currently have 2002 and no operating system \
behaves like this, isn't that a shame?. It would be great if KDE could change that - \
for ALL apps.

Also I think that such a feature does not belong into the app, the DE should handle \
it, IMO. Implementing that on application-level seems like a massive duplication of \
effort.

If I can somehow overcome the focus-problem, I think this app will make KDE usable \
for many users which find KDE currently too slow. A KDE/Linux system caches data on \
so many levels (CPU, disk-cache in RAM, disk-cache on HDD) why not cache whole apps \
to eliminate start-up time once and for all? Also, my app doesn't interfere with any \
other things in KDE.

Roland

--
"The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate
it."  -- Franklin P. Jones