List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: bugs.kde.org -> bugzilla??
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-19 7:48:24

Hi Coolo, Daniel, others,

As I mentioned on the KMail list I can't make productive use of the
bug system anymore. (Demands for help have outstripped supply of my
time).

I hope I would be able to use the system productively again if the bug
system supported voting. (Technical and moral considerations are
important but those being equal I would prefer to allocate my time to
areas that are most demanded by users). So my "other input" is if the
bug system is to be improved then please add support for voting,
perhaps this is a no brainer as IIRC bugzilla already supports
voting.

I'm also pro allowing users to vote with money. That is actually pay
money (shock horror) to encourage developers to fix bugs and
implement features. Basically being a capitalist I consider money to
be a significant indicator of how much demand there is for work to be
done.

I don't see any insurmountable technical problems with allowing users
to vote with money. Payments can be made in advance, and allocated
towards a particular bug#. Payments are donations and do not
guarantee work will be accomplished. Kept a track of which developer
closes which bug (probably the bug system already does this).

The feedback I've received is that developers would be insulted if
this money was given directly to them, but it could still be put to
good use by donating it to worthy charities. Maybe KDE e.V. or better
yet developers could choose their own charity from a list. I'm sure
we could agree on at least a few worthy causes, other projects have
(try ":help uganda" in vim).

Having a bug system that supports voting would help me (and hopefully
others) set my priorities, having KDE donate to worthy charities
could be good PR, and would just be a nice thing to do.

Don.