On Friday 31 May 2002 19:37, Michael Matz wrote: > Hi, > > On Fri, 31 May 2002, Christoph Cullmann wrote: > > Easy answer: Because the next planned changes for kate will make it > > even huger than currently (konqui style sidebar, bigger BIC plugin > > interface) which will let it head into the gideon/quanta direction, it > > won't be a ide or webdesign app, but it will be a "killer" editor with > > mdi (as current, but think of dropping the lame sdi approach) which > > won't fit into kdebase, but fits well as seperated cvs module near > > quanta and kdevelop. If you say I can do that in kdebae, fine, no > > problem, but I think that is not the sense of kdebase (nor of > > kdeutils). > > Well, then why not implement them first. If it then is too big we still > can outsource it, although I think on of the kdeextragear-* (or however > the modules are called now) is enough. I mean, currently the kate > directory is 1.2 Mb, while kdebase is 61.5. This isn't a bad proportion, > so currently size is no issue. If you wonder about the abilities of kate > being too advanced for kdebase, well, so be it. You can btw. also release > separately from kdebase your own kate package, if you absolutely want, so > this shouldn't be an issue as well. I.e. right now I don't see the need > to factor it out. OTOH it's basically yours, so you kind of decide anyway > ;) K, have no probs with that, but it will break BC between 3.1 and 3.0. > > > Ciao, > Michael. =2D-=20 Christoph "Crossfire" Cullmann Kate/KDE developer cullmann@kde.org http://kate.kde.org