On Sunday 19 May 2002 23:19, Emond Papegaaij wrote: > Prelink is the 'true' solution for the relocation problem. [...] Well, I have started to learn programming on a Windows platform (I apalog= ize)=20 ;-)... From there, I have some basic knowledge about (at least, Microsoft= 's)=20 executeable formats and what linking and relocating means. I do know that= =20 Windows' and Unix's VMs and default/standard executeable file formats (PE= vs.=20 ELF) are quite different, but I have no idea of what could be so time-tak= ing=20 on doing the final link stages when an executeable gets loaded into memor= y. I am aware of the most basic structure of a Microsoft PE executeable (tha= t is=20 a Win32 app when being a .EXE). This format is rather simple and quite ne= ar=20 to what is being in memory when the executeable runs - no time-stealing=20 linking before loading. At least, it allows some OS/loader hooks which ma= kes=20 exe loading much much faster than everything I've seen with Linux/KDE. I do appreciate ELF being a portable and quite flexible object format, bu= t=20 maybe it has to be considered bad and insuitable due to some circumstance= s,=20 at least some which were already mentioned in this thread. As no alternat= ives=20 are available, we should probably think forward and discuss new ideas. Li= nux=20 gives us the freedom to implement new ideas rather easily, so what would = it=20 take to create a new "binary format interpreter cut to suit the needs of = KDE=20 and a bunch of other modern apps"? Stephan