List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Font Mime-Types
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2002-05-20 15:57:42

Hi,

I've written a thumbnail creator for font-files (works for TrueType and
Type1
fonts, atm). As the ioslave is started when a file of a particualr
mimetype
is selected, I had a look at the mimetypes for font files in
mimelnk/applications. In here there are two .desktop files:

x-truetype-font -> for TrueType fonts
x-font          -> lists Type1, and *some* bitmap formats.

What I'd like to do is remove the x-font one and replace with the
following:

x-bitmap-font      -> *.pcf, *.pcf.gz, *.pcf.Z, *.bdf, *.bdf.gz, *.bdf.
Z,
*.snf, *.snf.gz, and *.snf.Z
x-ghostscript-font -> *.gsf
x-type1-font       -> *.pfa, *.pfb
x-speedo-font      -> *.spd

Does this sound reasonable? At the very least the Type1 font
information
needs to be seperated from the bitmap mime type. Would these changes
break
any existing apps?

On a related note - do the extensions have to be listed in both upper
and
lower case? i.e. are both *.pfa and *.PFA required? What about *.Pfa?

Craig.