Hi, Once on a beatiful day Saturday 18 May 2002 02:45, Rolf Magnus wrote: > I compared compilation times between gcc 2.95 and some gcc3 HEAD versio= ns > several times, and now I used the 3.1 release version to find out if my > results are valid for it, too. Each time, compilation times with 3.1/HE= AD > were about twice as long as with 2.95, and I don't see any numbers at a= ll > from you. Still you call my numbers "total bogus", and I have to say I > don't believe you. I did only try qt-copy right now, but I don't see wh= y > this should be different for kdebase. But if your compilation times are > really equal for 2.95 and 3.1, then I'd like to find out why they aren'= t > for me. Did you do anything special? I did not do anything special, because I have no idea how to. I am using = a cvs=20 snapshot of gcc 3.1 from 20020423, but it is not possible, that such a bi= g=20 change has been ade between this version and gcc 3.1 is it? Well, as for=20 compilation time I have not noticed any differences in time between my ol= d=20 debian with 2.95 and my pld with 3.1. kdebase compiles in 3-4 hrs on both= =20 systems and it does not differ that much, 1h at best, but I have found th= at=20 apps compiled with gcc3 start faster. I apologize for using the "total bo= gus"=20 (it sounds offensive and I surely did not want to offend you) phrase, wha= t I=20 ment was not the numbers (numbers do not lie), I used it in reply to: ----- Once on a beatiful day Friday 17 May 2002 17:40, Rolf Magnus wrote: > Conlcusion: gcc 3.1 is slow, even much slower than 2.95.3 :(, and app > startup times will go up again.=20 ----- What I wanted to say, is that it is not true, that the app startup times = will=20 rise again. Because they do not., but maybe it is because I am using=20 objprelink. --=20 !: Piotr Szymanski | LinuxPL Dev. Team Member | KDE i18n-pl coordinator @: djurban@linuxpl.org | The website is coming=20 #: GG: 2300264 | ICQ: 12622400=20 %: "bo jesli ktos sie modli Pan Bog w nim oddycha" - ks. Jan Twardowski.