List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-06 16:56:16

Am Montag, 6. Mai 2002 15:49 schrieb Neil Stevens:

> You wrote to Waldo:
>
> "Hmm, depends on what you call a problem. But I could imagine that many
> people won't be too enthusiastic when translators and documenters go on
> strike and produce 60+ messages threads every time something like this
> happens again."
>
> I think I summarized that sentiment accurately. Threatening to "strike"
> "every time something like this happens again" is an all-or-nothing
> approach.  I'm not saying it's unreasonable to take that action, though.
> I'm just saying it leaves little room for a fair compromise.

"This" (in my above statement) was 4 biggish apps with about the same
functionality in my view. Leaving aside for a moment whether the
functionality is really "about the same" (if it is not the whole discussion
is moot, of course): what would qualify as a "fair compromise" in your
view? Waiting with complaints until there are 6 of these apps? 8? 10?
And how is strike an "all-or-nothing" approach? Hereabouts, they are
usually just one stage in a scenario which is supposed to lead to "a fair
compromise".

> These CD writers *aren't* the same.  The actual
> functionality is all contained with cdrecord, please do understand that.
> These applications' entire code is dedicated to user interface to that
> backend. Some differ markedly in their user interface design.

I know that. But a (hopefully) possible solution was also suggested already:
Create different views of the same code base, analogous to Kate/KWrite, if
there is really need eg for an expert and a newbie view (as partly
implemented in KreateCD). If there is no need for this, maybe it would be
enough to have a wizard for the newbies (as in K3b) and, maybe, a bare bone
Konqueror plugin for the experts. Let the CDRW authors get together and
decide what they think is best.

> With 3.0.1 at hand, we're just now at the beginning of the full steam 3.1
> development cycle.  Now is the time to develop and create (even with a
> little recklessness).  Later, when the betas near, will be the time to
> evaluate what is actually mature for release.

Totally fine with me. I just hope the decsion on "what is mature" will also
take the duplication aspect into account and will do that in a way the
translators and documenters can live with.

> Thanks for your well-thought-out, intelligent, civil replies, whether
> this thread continues or not.

Thank _you_.

Regards,

Thomas