List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-04 10:24:53

Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 08:18 schrieb Thomas Diehl:

> Am Freitag, 3. Mai 2002 21:49 schrieb Sebastian Trueg:
> > my cd writing program k3b is in kdemultimedia now
>
> Well, after KOnCD, KreateCD, and CD Bake Oven this would be the 4th one.
> The existing ones already gave us something like 1200 strings to
> translate. How many strings is yours?
>
> I really start to wonder whether we are not overdoing here quite a bit

OK, meanwhile I was told that this new CD burner (k3b) in kdemultimedia
adds another 700+ strings which means that we now have something like
2000 strings for CD burning apps alone for each and every of our 50+
translation teams. Even if we can re-use a lot of these strings I think the
situation is getting absurd. And I'm not only talking CD burners here.

We now have 4 of these apps in core CVS (+ kaudiocreator somewhere). If
we go on like this we will shortly have half a dozen. And if we have half a
dozen CD burners why not have half a dozen bitmap editors, vector programs,
and 5 vocabulary trainers for every single KDE language? There are
currently something like 30,000 GUI strings and maybe the same amount
of doc strings in kde-i18n (give or take a few thousand) -- how many are
we going to have after this kind of app inflation? 50,000? 80,000?
And _for_what_?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind if it was a 100,000 strings for solid,
unique programs with a real perspective. But I'm not going to waste my
time, bandwidth, disk space, and every other resource on the ego
gratification of a few developers who are not willing to cooperate and to
either merge or re-write their projects until we get one real good solution
instead of 5 average ones.

If we are not going to find a clear and transparent decision process which
apps go into KDE core and which do not, which ones are to drop and which
ones need just a re-write we are going to drown in a sea of mediocre code,
untranslated programs, and overburdened infrastructure instead of getting
the first class desktop environment everybody is after.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/