List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Adding Cancel to the Copy/Move/Drop popup
From:       Alexander Kellett <kelletta () eidetica ! com>
Date:       2002-04-28 22:35:54

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 05:21:30PM -0400, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Well, between the Aegypten merger, Marc's identity handling rework, my
> date handling and soon mailing list handling overhaul, Michael's
> continues Imap fixes, and Carsten folder tree changes, this just wasn't
> a priority. Besides to be completely honest I hate having popups for
> everything I do. When I drag&drop I do want to drag & drop, and if I
> change my mind in the middle of the process, I just drop the item to
> where I started dragging it from. But I agree that some users might not
> be too happy about that, so I'll add a popup sometime this week.

Personally I really like the idea that newbies^Wusers get to see
exactly what they can do on a drag&drop operation, but having to
specify which I wish to use everytime I d&d just annoys me.

Therefore can I suggest something. By default one sees the popup,
but all actions are also provided for by modifier keys, in fact
the popup menu should in some way show these modifier keys.
(and the style guide should indicate the above)

(the konqi ops popup for example currently shows no indicator for the
 move modifier key but does seem to have one, and there is no modifier
 key for the "link to", which isn't really a bad thing, but having to
 search the modifier keys to find it is)

thanks,
Alex