List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving the Layout of KControl modules (was: Re Gnome ....)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-04-23 22:40:45

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:56:32AM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> For KDE 2.2 I already posted some suggestions to give a cleaner and
> easier to understand layout to the kcontrol-modules.
>
> This time I went through all the modules and created a list of improvements
> which gets rid of a huge number of control-widgets while still preserving
> the same amount of functionality.
Thanx; look good, some comments below.

> Desktop
> -------
>
> 'Show Previews for' should go into an own module
> 'File Browsing' -> 'File Previews' -> Tab:'General'
> The listview would be extended to have two checkboxes for each
> item: one for Konqueror and one for KDesktop and it would have
> to be renamed to 'Preferred Previews'.
>
> Instead of having multiple choices in Konqueror 'View' ->
> 'Preview' -> 'images, ...' one would only be able to enable
> or disable those previews selected in this dialog. If you
> haven't noticed it yet: Switching between 'Enabling all
> the preferred previews' and 'Disabling them' is a real
> pain right now. This solution would solve this issue.

This solution totally misses the fact that konqueror allows
this configuration to be saved per directory; this dialog only
shows the config for the Desktop directory.
There is no global config; nor do I think it is needed.

If there is a problem it needs to be fixed; but this is not it.

> Fonts
> -----
> "[x] use Antialiasing for fonts" should be replaced by a Combobox
> which looks like this:
>
> Use Antialiasing on [Common Monitor]
s/on/for/

> for Fonts larger than [8] pt

> Panel
> -----
>
> Look & Feel:
>
> A group Box "Tiles" should be created which contains a
> listview featuring the items:
..
> Below one would have _one_ "Browse"
..

Good idea; I just would like to suggest to put the list to the left
of the controls. Seems more logical to navigate IMO.

> Menus:
>
> Instead of the current items and Widgets in "K Menu Layout"
> one would have a single listview in which all the items
> appear. Each item would have its own checkbox.
right, but just the things in the 'available menus'; not the
checkboxes naturally :)

Plus remove/replace keyboard accellerator &Document and &entries