List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: FontInstaller (Was: Gnome Article on UI Design on /.)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-23 6:28:53

Am Montag, 22. April 2002 22:05 schrieb cpdrummond@freeuk.com:

> > Font grouping/management was planned for the stand-alone version,
> > AFAIK.
>
> Hey? Font grouping management is done via creating subdirs, and then
> these can be enabled/disabled.

Sure, but this puts the burden of managing all the files and directories on
the users while they are after a _font_ management tool only.

What I was looking for is something like a function the Bitstream Font
Navigator offers: Users can just select a couple of fonts (no matter where
they are stored) and give this package a name. Then they can build another
font package under a different name which may contain partly the same
fonts, partly different ones. And so on.

I admit this is not a feature which would be of any use to most people who
maybe handle something like 10-20 fonts (which is why I don't think it
needs to be in the KControl module). But eg for DTPers (or font hobbyists)
who deal with thousands of fonts and lots of different customers it would
be great if they can tell the programm: "(un)install all fonts for client
xy", "(un)install packages sans serif and decor fonts", or "(un)install the
old fashioned stuff" (no matter where it is stored).

> But I'll agree that the "Basic" mode is pretty useless - I myselft never
> really use it

Same here.

Regards,

Thomas