List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Application duplication (was: Re: cdbakeoven)
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-18 10:35:51

On Mittwoch, 17. April 2002 10:59, George Staikos wrote:

Hi guys,

sorry, I have a very generic complain that I think new developers (also old
ones) should watch out for. That is, application duplication and too hastily
moving code around in the CVS modules which causes headaches and work of
discussion which could be done beforehand.

Let me take cdbakeoven as an example: We have:

- KOnCD
- KAudiocreator
- Cdbakeoven

Which makes actually *3* programs which basically are suitable for burning
CD's, although each has different features that any of the other programs
doesn't have, plus a complete different design. I like the idea of new
designs. New applications for KDE are generally a good thing, too.

Now, but *please* could those people who are responsible for those 3 programs
come to terms and think of the following thing: why don't you just collect
all your knowledge and write *ONE* program that *all* users can use with the
maximum amount of features. We once had 3 different addressbooks whatsoever,
and this problem has barely been solved now with KDE 3. I beg you please
don't make the same mistake with a cd-burner program. Please let us include
only *ONE* application for any given task into KDE, and if it can't do what
another program can do, please ask those program's developers to help you out
and add those features and fix bugs and design errors.

The result of KDE should be that a user who gets the generic installation can
find the functionality he wants very easy and can perform his work with the
minimum amount of search, while at the same time keeping KDE's bloat limited.

I would ask to please move kaudiocreator and cdbakeoven back to kdenonbeta and
publishing those programs externally as seperate programs until you have all
come to terms which program will be a standard cdburning application that is
included and shipped with KDE. (I know this isn't very fair, but KOnCD has
been included first and is now shipped with KDE 3.0, but you have an
influence in chaning that)

For me, KDE (as the project) is about to ship a suitable desktop with
everything the user needs in a very straightforward, integrated way, but not
as a shipping platform for different applications of the same time just
because it is there. Please mind that it is good intention to do things that
way and not to step on those toes of people that have written applications
that can't/won't be included because they are duplications in a certain way.

Comments ?

Cheers,

Ralf