List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Theming manager [was: Re: KDE 3.1]
From:       Fabian Wolf <fabianw () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-03-29 18:09:10

On Friday 29 March 2002 18:38, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Friday, 29 March 2002 05:38, you wrote:

> > Fabian, Karol, Cristian, will you join?
 I will too :)

> [...]

> 3) we have to decide: will the theme manager be a part of kcontrol or a
> separate app? If it's part of kcontrol, will it supercede  and finally
> replace the current modules that manage the look of kde (kcmfonts,
> kcmcolors etc.)

Personally I don't like having configuration apps all over the place.
Everything that's configurable should be placed somewhere in kcontrol.

> [...]
> 5) do we agree that we need four levels of functionality?
> 	a) simply selecting and applying an available theme
> 	b) selecting and selectively applying parts of an available theme
> 	c) selecting a theme, configuring it and the applying it
> 	d) saving a theme (basically generating a theme package based on the
> current user's set of look configurations)

When loading and saving a them the user should be able to select what parts
of the theme he wants to install. This way we can save all kinda stuff - like
the appearance of kicker, directory background images in konqeror, etc,
sounds, etc... - but it'll still be up to the user what he wants to install.

> [...]
> 7) do we need to define a mechanism of hierarchisation? So that a theme
> that is built on top of an existing one doesn't save all the crap (pix,
> configs, sounds, fonts) once again, but rather specify the original theme,
> make the package of that theme be required and then install on top of it
> the modifs. Or is this overkill?

Hmm, if I have to download a whole bunch of other themes in order to install
the one I like, it doesn't make any difference (talking 'bout file size) -
it'll rather be more time consuming and maybe one theme is not available
anymore - that'll make all the other themes built on top of that one unusable.
I think everything should be in one package, one zip, bz2, gz or whatever.

> 8) do we include "feel" configs in a theme too? (like number of desktops,
> or layout of kicker etc. - personally I wouldn't like this, but I have to
> ask).

Why not? Make it configurable what to apply and what to save to the package -
see above!

Cheers,
Fabian

- --
The young do not know enough to be prudent
and therefore they attempt the impossible -
and achieve it, generation after generation