List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: KDE 3.1
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2002-03-29 16:45:19

On Friday 29 March 2002 06:05 pm, Joseph Wenninger wrote:

Hi,

> > The konqueror interface is probably easier to learn to yet another file
> > manager metapher.

> Please stop integrating everything into konqy. I think a lot of small
> applications serving a special purpose is better, than integrating
> everything into an application, which can do everything, but nothing
> correctly / completely.
>
> On Windows XP, you can record CDs directly with the Explorer, but it's not
> really usable (at least for power users)

I cannot follow your argument. Which functionality is possible with a
standalone app but not with a konqueror plugin?

From a users point of view a recordable CD or DVD is not different from any
other removable media like floppy, MO or zip-drive. Therefor I think the UI
should have the same sematics for all removeable media.

It is the purpose of a GUI to hide the technical details like that the current
CD-RW drives still need an iso image etc.

Part of the simplicity of Unix came from the concept that everything is a
file.

The simplicity and power of KDE comes from the fact that everything is an
URL/URI.

There is no reason to use an extra program and a specialized UI for ftp
because from a users point of view an ftp directory is just another directory
with arbitrary files.

The same applies for webdav and cd-r / cd-rw and all derivatives of writable
DVSs.

Basically a GUI is not a graphical representation of the underlying API but a
solution for the users need. All the complexity of the actual handling of the
devices shall be hidden.

The later does of course in no way hinder the power users from exploring the
full functionality.

Yours,
--martin

Regards,