List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Comparing Startup speed of KDE2 to KDE3
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cityweb ! de>
Date:       2002-03-28 20:20:32

On Thursday 28 March 2002 18:34, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 28 March 2002 13:52, Christian Esken wrote:
> > The following table shows the results: "max" ist the highest start
> > time measured. "avg" is the average of the 4th and 5th run.
> >
> > 	KDE2	KDE3
> > max	31s		16s
> > avg	16s		10s
>
> Yes!!! This is very cool. All those people complaining about KDE being too
> slow will be happy with KDE3.

Yes!!!

But actually I was very frustrated for some time as well, as logging in could
need up to 3 Minutes, until I found the trick. See the end of the mail for
more info.

> > The test was probably not 100% fair, as under KDE2 I have more
> > applications installed:
> >
> > chris@donald:~> ls -1 /opt/kde2/bin/ | wc
> >     281     281    3038
> > chris@donald:~> ls -1 /opt/kdehead/bin/ | wc
> >     183     183    1993
> >
> > So I recalculated the KDE3 measurements, using (281/183 =1.53552) as
> > linear correcting factor (please be aware: it is just a "intelligent
> > guess" to correct the measurement like this):
>
> I don't understand. Why does having a different number of applications
> matter? Startup time is only about the applications being started, not
> about those installed on the harddisk and unused....

There *could* be numerous reasons. I am not into the design of all
applications, but here are some (hopefully) reasonable arguments:
Probably kicker startup time (due to more *.desktop files => bigger menu
structure), basic startup times because more Mimetypes are there, and
whatsoever.

But as I said: I just tried an "intelligent guess" to be a bit more "mean" to
KDE3 - but it did not help: KDE3 is still faster.

BTW: Did I mention until 3 weeks ago I had *HORRIBLE* KDE2 startup times.
The record was something like 3 Minutes from clicking "Login" until I could
use the KDE Desktop. Usual startup time was 40-60 seconds.
It was the same version (~ 2.2.1) as I did the tests with, but with my regular
user.

The trick was to do a  *MAJOR* cleanup up ~/.kde/config : I threw away nearly
everything below ~/.kde . Exceptions were those obviously "good" files like
~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml ,
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/addressbook , some config files (e.g. kmail) and some
more.
After this cleanup startup time was reduced to 20-30 seconds.

  Christian

--
Is Unix ready for the desktop? See http://www.kde.org

The                              Christian Esken
|/  Desktop                      KDE Developer
|\  Environment                  esken@kde.org

KDE - The net transparent free Unix Desktop for everyone