List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: khtml and mathml
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-28 13:53:17

On Thursday, 28 March 2002 09:00, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> I'm starting to work on a MathML interpreter for KFormula in KOffice.  It
> occurred to me that it'd make sense to implement something which can be
> used by khtml as well.  So:

You just stole one of my todo items.

> 1) is there an objection to starting a MathML renderer to be used by khtml?

I was rather thinking to make kformula widget bet embedded in khtml when
mathml tags are found in a document (would require moving kformula to libs
but...)

> 2) is there already work done for this?

amanda (see w3c.org)

> 3) what module should the code ultimately go into?  kdelibs, kdebase,
> kdeaddons?

kdelibs, imho. A popular browser with math support is badly missed by
scientifics and mathematicians today. Ugly workarounds (like JIT latex
rendering to jpeg etc.) are available, but suboptimal.

Thanks for thinking of this :-) I just hope I'll have the time to help.

CT