List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs/kdeui
From:       Michael Brade <brade () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-26 10:20:50

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 10:56, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 March 2002 10:01, Michael Brade wrote:
> > That is complete nonsense, sorry! Show me a single one who used an auto
> > completion and complains now that he has not to press Backspace twice but
> > only once! Because this was the only change of behaviour (backspace
> > auto-completes wasn't the default anymore).
>
> - it's using different colours now (which makes the completion much harder
> to read)
personal taste I guess.

> - moving the cursor with arrow keys doesn't fixate the completion anymore
forgot about this... But this change is almost un-noticable because nobody is
using a single arrow key press to fixate the completion: either what you want
is pressing "return", is inserting some text somewhere in the url including
the completion (possible with the new behaviour without different keypresses)
or going to the end of the completion (which is possible as well by stupidly
pressing "right" repeatedly or pressing end in both versions).

> - you can't remove the completion with backspace anymore (believe it or
> not, many people don't use (or even know about!) the delete key. Instead it
> will remove your last character, together with the completion.
yeah, that's what I said.

> - what happens when you paste something over a completion? It's clear when
> it is a selection, but now?
Same behaviour. Remove the completion (as it is completely non-intrusive and
can be regarded as non-existant until "Return") and add the pasted text.

> Now who is talking complete nonsense?
Hmm, at least it seems that we both know about what we are talking about ;-)

Ok, this thread is going to be much too big again, I'll give up now for god's
sake and hope we can fix it codewise now (remember, KDE 3.0 is released
already, hint hint... :) If you need someone for hacking or if nobody is
doing this in the next weeks I'll have a look at it.

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops