List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 - the last steps
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-21 19:14:42

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 08:00:27PM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Thursday 21 March 2002 19:01, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 March 2002 18:32, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > > Screenshot#1 shows a Konq in the background, running on the "old"
> > > qt-copy and the folder list of KMail running the current qt-copy
> > > (note the tiny space between listviewitems)
> >
> > Hmm, I just note the huge spacing in the left one. The right one
> > looks good to me. Maybe the spacing could be bigger, but the left one
> > is definitely too big.
>
> No, it isn't. This is on a 133dpi display. Scale it down to see what's
> wrong.
>
> > > Screenshot#2 shows an example text in KMail's reader. It's quite
> > > hard to read what with the small \baselineskip.
> >
> > Why not use a bigger font then?
>
> Up until now I was very happy with this font and size. I possibly know a
> bit more about typesetting (what with part of my job being LaTeXing
> math. articles) than the average user, and the "Durchschuss" is much
> too small.
The Leading you talk about looks like its a 110% of the fonts size, which
I deduce from those 4 fonts in your screenshots, most DTP (thats paper) defaults
are set to 120%, which is indeed more readable.

> See attached screenshot where the size has been increased, but the
> Durchschuss is still to small.
> Seems like a fixed offset is used now, independent of the font size (in
> pixels) or the space is calculated in px based on font size in pt.
> Something like that.

The Leading (or line-spacing) you see scales correctly if you use a bigger
font, so that deduction is incorrect.. But I agree that the screenshots are
using a too small value for nice readability.

But if you are correct in the claim that it is introduced by a qt-copy update;
then I suggest you try a couple of QT applications and see if you are bugging
the right people :)

IMO this is not really a show-stopper..