List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 - the last steps
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-21 14:43:37

On Thursday 21 March 2002 01:12, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 March 2002 03:32 pm, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Its time to identify the remaining showstoppers that need urgently be
> > fixed before KDE 3.0 release, besides the lack of a 3.0 splash screen of
> > course.
> >
> > So please reply with things that need to be fixed before 3.0 release.
> >
> > Things that come to my mind are:
> >
> > - the KFileItem API ?
> >
> > - styles exporting / krdb / Qt widget style settings synchronisation.
> >   all fixed ?
> >
> > - new default color scheme for KDE 3.0 ?
> >
> > - easily triggered crashes, compile problems ?
> >
> > If we can't come up with real showstoppers I'm going to update one last
> > time the CVS tag and create tarballs as soon as the new splash screen is
> > ready.
>
> I would like to see the "s^Comment^GenericName^" change in the
> desktop-files happening before 3.0. It would provide better
> inter-operability with GNOME and KDE 2.x applications. I can make the
> changes but I need Stephan Kulow to take care of the translations scripts
> first.
>
> If it doesn't happen before 3.0, it will be basically impossible to get it
> right afterwards.

OK, I commited that change now. I left Comment= lines that are longer than
30 characters alone as I can quite surely say they don't contain a generic
name. That means, that (in our semantic) .desktop files don't show a Comment
in KDE3, but show a tooltip in gnome/KDE2 - which should be fine.

Greetings, Stephan