List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.0 - the last steps
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () t-online ! de>
Date:       2002-03-21 1:35:16

On Thursday 21 March 2002 01:12, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> > I'd add to that KFileMetaInfo
>
> Thats what I meant. It was actually a question. What part of the API needs
> fixing ? how long does it take ? Are you working on it ?

Carsten Pfeiffer(?) and me are working on it. There was some restructuring of
the api and especially the plugins. I was working on it the last days (since
the day when everybody suddenly started complaining). See my (quite long)
mail I wrote about it on monday in the thread about KFileMetaInfo. I
suggested several different solutions what can be done. I tried to prepare
for the "Use the new API in 3.0" solution (Carsten convinced me to do this).
Nobody of the people who complained said anything about it or had any other
suggestions. It was said that I didn't care, which makes me sad because it's
not true. So I tried to do my best by describing the current situation and
the solutions as good as possible and working to get it done, and it seems
most other people don't care, because Aaron J. Seigo was the only one who
answered (thank you Aaron for a constructive answer and an offer to help). No
answer from any of the "complainers", and also no answer from the release
coordinator. And I'm a bit disappointed in Carsten Pfeiffer, who left me
alone with it once, and now after promising to help me this time, he did this
for one day, and then again left me alone.
So now I'm sitting here trying to get it done without knowing if my work is
worth anything, everybody saying that my initial plan (making it BIC between
3.0 and 3.1) is wrong and telling me why (with valid arguments), but nobody
even caring about argumenting on the solutions I presented. Sorry for all
this whining, but I'm realizing that it was an error that I wanted to add
something to kdelibs.

Ok, now something about the state of KFileMetaInfo, if anyone is interested:
The API is mostly settled apart from some minor changes that could be needed,
and most parts are working (I'd say about 90%), but it's almost untested and
revising the code and fixing bugs would really be needed (just like Aaron
wrote). Both tool tips and the properties dialog in konqueror are working.
What is missing is the kdemm/noatun part and all plugins except mp3, which is
working 100% with the new api. Changing the other plugins is mostly typing
work.

Now could anyone tell me if this is worth waiting or if not, which alternative
I should choose? Or should I just stop caring, too, and leave kde with a
crippled KFileMetaInfo?