List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: collation of desktop spec issues
From:       Havoc Pennington <hp () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-03-20 14:42:19

Havoc Pennington <hp@redhat.com> writes:
> k)
>  Add clarification of Name/Comment meaning, should be:
>   Name: name of the application, should be one-three words typically
>   Comment: "tooltip" for the application, explaining in perhaps 3-10
>            words what the application does
>
>   (GNOME plan here is at http://www242.pair.com/nilsp/nils/panel/menus.html)

Bero pointed out to me that KDE 3 is not using these fields as above.
Instead for KDE "Name" means "specific application menu name" and
"Comment" means "generic application menu name". So e.g.:

  Name=KMail
  Comment=Email Client

Then apparently it's configurable which of these to display in the
menu?

GNOME uses Name as "generic application name" and Comment as
"tooltip"

Result, menus are all screwed up when you mix the two kinds of desktop
entry.

I suggest that we clarify:

   Name: generic user-friendly name of the application to appear in
         menus, such as "Web Browser"
   Comment: "tooltip" for the application, explaining in perhaps 3-10
            words what the application does, for example
            "View Internet web sites"
   AdvancedName: specific application name, such as "Mozilla"

This adds the new AdvancedName field.

Please, coordinate with xdg-list when changing the meaning of .desktop
file fields, adding new fields, or anything along those lines.

Havoc