List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Stress Testing and QA before release
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2002-03-12 7:54:33

   Hi!

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:14:19AM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> <snip>
> > Well, the time you waste in creating a collection of QA testcases you
> > could invest in actually doing the testing, which is for sure more
> > fun as well ;-)
> <snip>
>
> Well. I'd really like to have the UnitTest framework implemented for
> KDE, complete with Makefile.am magic for "make check" (the latter being
> the reason why I won't be doing it, though :-)

Feel free to look at arts/tests/* for a UnitTest like approach to automatic
testing. I wrote this after spending a while writing JUnit based testing for
another project. The Makefile.am magic isn't really magic once you look at it,
it was pretty easy to get make check do the right thing in arts/tests. However,
there is the usual problem: you can test non-interactive, self-contained
classes very easily (like: does the Arts::Buffer really marshal data in the
way the MCOP protocol specification says), but testing user interaction
is probably quite hard.

   Cu... Stefan