On Friday 08 March 2002 11:48 pm, Neil Stevens wrote: > While these problems are bad enough, they in turn throw up further > obstacles to a stable release: > > 1) When users and developers cannot build KDE, they cannot test KDE > 2) When developers are locked out of KDE builds, they cannot > contribute fixes. > 3) When the credibility of the KDE release policies are called into > question, users and developers are less likely to feel that > testing is of value, and stop participating. > > The credibility of the release policies are further damaged by the > manner in which the decisions are made. For instance, the major > change to libtool, there was a minimum of discussion, with no > compelling bugs or reasons shown for making this drastic change. In > cases like this, the whims of a few dictate large change for the > masses. I agree with you that changes to the admin dir are disruptive and a hassl= e for=20 everyone. That makes it a painfull change but not a wrong change. There a= re=20 very few people with intimate knowledge about the magic in the admin dir = and=20 those two people are to my knowledge Stephan Kulow and Michael Matz (let = me=20 know if I forgot someone). So when those two people agree and consider it= =20 necassery that things get upgraded before 3.0 then that is what happens.=20 That's not because of the "whims of a few" but because of the "well thoug= ht=20 out decission by the people responsible for that part of KDE." Where it went wrong is the communication of such change to the rest of KD= E.=20 Especially because it is disruptive it is important that such changes are= =20 communicated clearly to everyone involved. If you, as a developer, make a= =20 change to something in KDE that may affect others, make sure that you inf= orm=20 those others about it. It doesn't matter whether it is a BIC change in=20 KConfig, a new string in KEdit or an upgrade of the admin dir.=20 KDE is a very big project and such communication is very important. It wi= ll=20 only become more important when KDE grows bigger. Proper communication is= a=20 responsibility for everyone of us. Cheers, Waldo --=20 Reports of KDE 3's Death Have Been Highly Exaggerated