Moin, On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 13:03, Dirk Mueller wrote: > On Fre, 08 M=E4r 2002, Neil Stevens wrote: > - the libtool update does _not_ require an operating system upgrade. > autoconf is a perl and m4 based package of less than 1MB size in sour= ce. > compiling and installing it takes less than 5 minutes, it is compilab= le > out of the box on about each and every broken system you can think of= =2E Many people dislike to install perl-based packages because usually it's h= ard=20 to uninstall them (at least I felt like that with quite some sources usin= g=20 perl). That's why people prefer packaged-versions of things like automake= =20 etc. > Furthermore many newer distributions ship it by default anyway. Not everybody wants to update to a newer distro every half year, I'm just= =20 lucky to have a new one because I bought a new hdd and reinstalled my who= le=20 system. In general backward compatibility is always the better way than supportin= g=20 _only_ the hippest and newset versions. > If you upgrade your operating system instead of updating autoconf its > your decision and not forced by KDE itself. If you want a newer package of autoconf you usually have tons of dependen= cies=20 which often lead to updating the whole distro. > - The build requirements update was a step to do anyway. We simply can = not > keep the compatibility with autoconf 2.1x and 2.5x over a longer peri= od > of time. For my personal opinion, adjusting the build requirements is > better done for a major release like 3.0 instead of a "normal" releas= e > like 3.1. Then why didn't that happen somewhere before feature freeze started? Chan= ging=20 the build-system is also a feature IMHO. > b) maintain an "admin.old" directory with the older checkout for > people to download and use. However I almost bet that replacing th= e > admin dir before compiling is even more work than updating autocon= f. Having an old admin-dir in kde-common and make symlinks in every cvs-modu= le=20 might be sufficent for developers that cannot currently upgrade their=20 automake/autoconf. I'd vote for a solution like that > - With the size of KDE and the amount of apps and the amount of users > its unrealistic that you will reach the "open bug reports =3D=3D 0" a= im > at _any_ time. But sorting out the problems regarding styles/colours was way too late an= d=20 it's still not finished, at least for me. The most obvious thing is kicker and kdesktop don't apply new colourschem= es to=20 their popupmenus, looks funny to have a transparent menu with white text = just=20 because these damn stupid apps did not set their text-colour to black :/ > The only solution I see currently is providing a "configure" script for > "make -f Makefile.cvs", that will pick up the "right" admin dir. I will= ask > Stephan and Michael to consider this. [x] we need that > by my "the release coordinator has spoken" - rants. Maybe I was too > loose this time, so probably we find the golden way of doing things f= or > KDE 3.1. Yep, I don't have anything against a real freeze with just bugfixes going= in.=20 I know it slows down development quite a bit but overall I switched to=20 unix/linux because of stability, not because I want the same bugginess as= =20 under other OS's :) Stability comes _before_ features, never forget that > > The justification for these changes was > > explained very well by the KDE 2.2 release coordinator Waldo Bastian > > in a mail to the developers (5), in which he said "[Y]ou will have to > > respect release freezes" if you put your code into KDE. > > Hmm, I always tried to express that more gently, but if you find Waldo'= s > mail okay, I will quote it in my next regular-rant mail ;) I like a clear statement like Waldo did as well. It's ok to say "Now stop= the=20 featuritis and make it work instead". > > New leadership for KDE 3.1 is needed. Nah, the "leader" just has to change his strictness a little bit :) Bye, Stefan aka mETz --=20 sgehn@gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein