List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    --with-kdecore-only (or similar) in kdelibs?
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2002-03-07 23:00:38

Is it a good idea to start supporting (if it is not already somewhat
supported) a kdecore-only option (or --without-gui) in kdelibs after 3.1?

If we can make sure that kdecore (and kio?) can be compiled stand-alone,
people will be use KConfig, KIO, KDirLister, KURL etc etc in a non-X
environment more easily, such as a server. I'd love to standarise some server
projects on KConfig but as of now the best I can get on my server is Qt/E.
I'm confident I could strip down kdelibs to compile certain parts, but I
think it would be better if we tried to officially make kdecore (as
development platform) available.

KDE adds a lot of functionality and convenience which is also useful without
the widgets and desktop GUI stuff.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap@capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."