List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: completion bugs
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-07 19:10:33

Hi,

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > Ok, I understand, then I'd like to request a "Drop-down + gray text as
> > hint" mode (non "auto") for KDE 3.1 :)
> >
> > This gray text is nice, there's no reason the "autocompletion" fans should
> > be the only one to have it ;)
>
> I would also like to see the number of completion modes reduced to 2 or 3.
>
> Pick the ones that work best and throw out the rest.

"works best" isn't something measurable.  At least not for a set of
people.  Some want a drop-down list, some don't want autocompletion, some
want only suggestions, some want a lineedit,...

I think it would make more sense to "configure" completion instead of
providing some presets.  We have drop-list on/off, manual completion
on/off, autocompletion on/off, greedy completion (backspace completes)
on/off (and others?).  Before now someone yells "overconfigurability" I
note that IMHO this is more practical than five modes imprecisely
described by their name.

Ciao,
Michael.