List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Please revert ktuberling sounds to OGG !
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2002-03-07 16:38:00

   Hi!

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:21:02PM +0100, ?ric Bischoff wrote:
> Roger Larsson has written some time ago a patch that fixes art's problem and
> enables it to play OGG vorbis files at any frequency. I don't know why arts
> developpers didn't apply it so far.
>
> Please have arts people apply this patch, and make ktuberling use OGG again.
> WAV is not a solution because it uses bunches of megabytes for low quality,
> and kde-i18n module is fat enough.

Wrong. Roger Larsson's patch does fix some issues in fallback code that is
used on platforms that are not FreeBSD, Linux, AIX or SunOS. Whether or not
this patch is applied will not change anything for the majority of all users.

> PS it would have been nice to ask *before* reverting ktuberling's files to
> WAV. I could have explained the situation. I don't appreciate the way this
> has been done.

I am not sure what went wrong here, but I think it had been decided some time
ago that OGG files will be supported as alternative sound format for *KDE3.1*.

For KDE3.0, they might work, but then again they might not. This already starts
with the fact that if you don't install kdemultimedia, you will not have OGG
decoding working at all. There also seem to be unresolved issues with extremely
short files in mpeglib (see kde-multimedia).

I heard of system lockups caused by this today for the first time, so I hope
we'll find a way to fix these before KDE3.0, but I am not sure if the "short
files play wrong" problem will go away with that.

So the bottom line is: if you can live with your sound effects not working
until KDE3.1, but want to use the benefits of OGG now, you can do so. But if
you want a guarantee that your sounds work for KDE3.0, you have to use WAV.

Which of both applies to the sounds in kde-i18n is not up to me to decide.

   Cu... Stefan