List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2002-03-07 9:29:15

George Staikos wrote:

> I just fought for an hour with KDE not starting after I upgraded to XF86 4.2.
> I don't know why or how, but dcopserver was (silently) complaining that
> .ICE-unix was not owned by root.  Indeed it was now.  However I don't know
> how this would have changed simply by installing this rpm.  In any case, I
> think we should pop up an xmessage if dcopserver doesn't start up.  If
> anything, at least it will save a few support emails.

I experienced something similar; and yes, I had also upgraded to XF86 4.2.
I didn't relate the problem to this fact though. Being not a programmer, I
was not able to hunt it down completely, but somehow I had the impression,
the different startup scripts for X had been messed... In the end I replaced
(thanks to Michael Goffioul's advice) the very long ~/.xinitrc by my own
short one:

    #!/bin/bash
    export KDEDIR=/opt/kdecvs             # this is home of CVS-Version
    export QTDIR=/opt/qt3                 # this is were qt-copy is
    export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib
    export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde3
    exec /opt/kdecvs/bin/startkde

Worked...

Oh, BTW, this used to be SuSE 7.3's ~/.xinitrc

Bye,
Kurt  [not sure if thie info is valid for this case]